- When: Saturday March 1st, 2014
- Where: Woodwards Atrium - 149 W Hastings St, Vancouver Coast Salish Territories
- What: A full day of hands-on workshops and training in art-based creative action tactics and organizing, the theory and practice of creative action, the intersection of art and action and more. Along with music, social space, open space for collaboration and more.
- Participation is open to all, and entry is by donation (no one turned away for lack of funds)
What is ArtShift?
Art and creativity are the heart and soul of social movements, but too often creativity is left to the artists alone and organizing to the activists. ArtShift is based on a belief that everyone has the capacity for creativity and that when ignited, that creativity is a force that can move the world and make change irresistible.
Inspired by projects like Beautiful Trouble, Platform London, ArtShift Europe and others, ArtShift is a project to bring together artists, organizers and activists to build a "creative action laboratory" as a legacy project of regional PowerShifts. Phase 1 of ArtShift is focused on the intersection of creativity, art and action looking especially a the role of art within action for social and climate justice. We'll be kicking off ArtShift with a one day event on creative action theory and practice with a focus hands-on skill building to take forward from ArtShift.
ArtShift BC aims to bring together artists, activists, and everyone in between to cultivate collaboration and learning.
- To build the creative capacity of organizing for climate and social justice and democratize both art and action in doing so
- To create a platform for collaboration between artists, organizers and others
- To make political and social action more beautiful by empowering people with tangible, hands on skills
- To share stories of past and ongoing creative social and political action in order to inspire and motivate future actions for irresistible change-making
Want to get involved?
If you're interested in helping to organize ArtShift BC or want to get involved in some way, please fill out this form. If you have other questions, you can get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org
On Space: We recognize that the location of this event is connected to realities of colonization and displacement in Vancouver. Our hope is to acknowledge this history and the current implications this space holds by finding ways to address it in the organizing of this event. If you have ideas or want to get involved please get in touch with us at email@example.com
149 W Hastings St
Vancouver, BC V6B 1H7
Google map and directions